It is hard not to remember my mum when I cook and smell this Indonesian chicken soup in my kitchen. All my memories back in my mum’s kitchen in my hometown especially her traditional way of cooking. Untuk versi bahasa kunjungi Resep Soto Ayam Cemplung.
This indonesian chicken soup is well known as Soto Ayam in Indonesia. It is a yellow spicy chicken soup served with vermicelli or noodles, thinly sliced cabbage, celery leaves, fried thinly sliced potatoes, fried shallot, hard boiled eggs and chilli sambal and sometimes with sambal kecap manis (sweet soy sauce sambal).
Like Nasi Goreng, different areas have their own different ways of making soto ayam. For example in Jakarta, they have their own soto dish called Soto Betawi, in Surabaya they’ve got Soto Ambengan, and also other area like Soto Banjar, Soto Kudus and Soto Medan.
This recipe is tends more to the taste of East Java region where I came from.
- 800gr chicken breast or boneless thigh, cut into small pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbs cooking oil
- 6 Asian shallots (or 2 french onion)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 cm ginger (or ½ tsp ginger powder)
- 1 cm kencur (a type of spice you can get from Asian groceries, you can skip if you don't have it)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 spring onions
- 200 ml thick coconut milk
- 2 kafir lime leaves
- 3 salam leaves (you can replace with bay leaves)
- 2 lemon grass (white part only), bruised
- 1 tbs fried shallots
- 6 cups of water
- cooked vermicelli
- chilli sambal
- thinly sliced cabbage
- celery leaves, chopped
- cooked white rice
- fried thinly sliced potatoes
- Boil the chicken together with garlic and turmeric until cooked, then drain.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, brown the chicken (just enough colour, not too brown otherwise it will dry). Set aside.
- Saute the paste until beautifully fragrant.
- Boil 6 cups of water in a pot, add the sautéed paste, kafir lime leaves, and lemon grass, cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, turn the heat down, simmer. Taste.
- Add fried shallots and chopped spring onion. Turn the heat off.
In a bowl, put rice and then top with vermicelli, sliced cabbage, chopped celery leaves, fried potatoes, and fried shallots. Pour the broth on top and add little bit of sambal (optional).
- Bakso Recipe (Indonesian Meatballs Soup)
- Beef and Eggplant Recipe