Javanese Chicken Lodho Recipe.
Lodho is just a way of cooking. Basically twice cooked meat covered in spices and coconut milk until the sauce is thickened. Don’t worry, it’s not as hard as it sounds. This dish is well known in my hometown, Tulungagung. The meat used is normally local chicken (ayam kampung). I will say proudly that Ayam Lodho (chicken lodho) is one of Tulungagung’s signature dishes.
Untuk versi bahasa kunjungi Resep Ayam Lodho Bu Suyatmi.
This recipe came straight from my mum. Her way of cooking chicken lodho is very authentic. By browning the butterflied chicken on top of a wooden fire stove before cooking in spices. The taste is definitely much better
For you who live outside Indonesia like me and find hard to get fresh ingredients, don’t worry, I’ve got you covered 😉 . I used some dry spices and the taste was just as good . And if you like this type of dish, try the Spicy Duck Indonesian Style recipe. The cinnamon stick gives kick to it !
Anyway, here are some tips for this dish:
If you want an easier way, the chicken can be cut up first. Such as for a party, you could use only the thigh or chicken breast for easy eating.
If you happen to only have canned coconut milk in the pantry, use 200ml of thick canned coconut milk and then add 200ml water.
- 1 whole chicken, around 1.5 kg (butterflied or cut up in pieces)
- 5 kafir lime leaves
- 3 salam leaves (can be replaced with a bay leaf)
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 stalks lemongrass, crushed
- 400 ml cans of light coconut milk or 200ml thick coconut milk + 200ml water
- 4 big red chillies (you can add more if you like spicy)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 red onions (2 big French shallots)
- 2 cm ginger
- 2 cm galangal
- 1 piece kencur small size, approximately 2 cm (can skip if you don't have)
- ½ tbsp coriander powder (1 tbsp whole coriander)
- ½ tsp black pepper powder (1 tsp whole peppercorns)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (2 cm fresh turmeric)
- Salt to taste
- Heat a skillet or pan with a lid, sauté the paste along with lime leaves, lemon grass and salam/bay leaves until fragrant and turned to golden brown.
- Add chicken, make sure chicken is covered in spices and then put the lid on. Cook until half cooked.
- Add coconut milk, stir well and reduce the heat.
- Cook until sauce thickens. Turn off the heat, let the chicken to cool down.
- Once the chicken is cooled down, coat the entire surface with the remaining thick sauce.
- Grill chicken over a fire or it can be baked in the oven for 25 minutes in 200 degrees Celsius or until the skin turns brown.
- Before serving, pour the rest of the seasoning sauce on it.
- Easy Almond Cake Recipe
- Lamb Casserole Asian Style Recipe