Delicious Steamed Chicken with Ginger Sauce ala Arie’s Kitchen.
This steamed chicken recipe is inspired by the flavors of my favourite Hainanese Chicken. Easy to make and definitely tastes delicious. I enjoy Chinese food way too much especially dim sum. I think China has so many varieties of their cuisine and so does Indonesia. Probably because both countries populations are enormous. Untuk versi bahasa kunjungi Resep Ayam Kukus Saus Jahe.
Instead of using coconut milk, savoury Hainan rice is normally using chicken broth. It gives lighter and healthier taste actually, especially homemade chicken broth I have to admit that I’m cheating by using the rice cooker to cook the savoury rice. It is the easy way to get the rice cooked perfectly. Do you think I’m crazy if I tell you that I have 2 rice cookers? And they aren’t small ones either 😀
There are various ways to make Hainan rice by the way. My recipe is probably very different from the original recipe that originated in China . But I assure you it tastes as delicious
- 1 or 2 whole chicken (about 2kg ), clean and wash
- 1 large size onion, peeled, sliced
- 5cm ginger , crushed
- 10 cloves Asian garlic, peeled, crushed
- 1 tbsp crack pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Soy sauce to taste
- Savory rice to serve
- 6 tablespoons of peanut oil
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh ginger
- 5 spring onion (green part only), thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- Add enough water in the steam pot , bring to a boil.
- Add the onions, ginger, garlic, pepper, sesame oil and salt.
- Place the steamer rack in (the metal rack to separate water and top part).
- Add the chicken, pour the soy sauce on top of the chicken (about 4 tablespoons). Put the lid on.
- Steam the chicken approximately 1 hour or until chicken is cooked. Turn off the heat.
- Remove the chicken from the steamer.
- Slice and serve chicken with savoury rice and sauce.
- Lamb Soup Jakarta Style
- Bali Villa – Askara