Javanese Braised Beef Recipe.
Remember when I grew up, mum often bought me this dish from our famous local restaurant “Sate & Gule Bu Karto” in a local market. The place is always pack as it’s only restaurant who sells Satay and Gule/Javanese Lamb Curry that time. The way they cook the satay is using coal and I can tell you that the taste is just delicious. The gule it self is always fresh, and so this “ungkep dish”. The “ungkep” / braised beef served with “serundeng” which is fried finely grated coconut and rice, of course :). Local people often cook this dish on special occasion like wedding or any other parties. It’s kind of delicacy when I was little as not many people can afford meats. I hope you enjoy this Javanese braised beef recipe.
Untuk versi bahasa kunjungi Resep Ungkep Daging Sapi.
- 1.5 kg beef, slice ½ cm thick, 5cm wide
- 5 kafir lime leaf
- 5 bay leaf)
- 200ml coconut milk)
- 3 tbs sweet soy sauce)
- 2 lemon grass, bruised)
- 10 garlic)
- 1 big French onion/shallot)
- 3 cm ginger)
- 2 cm galangal)
- 1 tsp coriander powder)
- 1 tsp pepper)
- 1 tbs sugar)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder)
- 2 tbs cooking oil)
- Make the paste using food processor/grounder, if you are using food processor, add 2 tbs water.
- In a pan, add meat, kafir lime leaf, bay leaf, lemon grass and paste, mix together.
- Put the lids on, turn on the stove. Cook for 30 minutes, stir occasionally, add water if needed.
- When the meat soften, add coconut milk, sweet soy sauce, salt, cook until the sauce thick.
- Serve with rice.
- Indonesian Warm Desserts Recipe
- Light Indonesian Chicken Curry Recipe