My friends came over a while ago for a catch up and afternoon tea. Luckily enough I know what they like, Indonesian warm desert. So I made this amazing sago pearl to accompany the tea and coffee. Untuk versi bahasa kunjungi Resep Cara Membuat Puding Mutiara Sagu.
In Indonesia this sago desert is normally served a little bit more watery but I reduced the water to get the pudding texture. I like it thick sometimes.
Pandan leaf is essential in this recipe. This time I added jackfruit as well, as the aroma of both ingredients complement each other nicely.
Talking about jackfruit, my grand parents used to have few trees in their garden. I remember how they keep the bugs away from the fruit. They covered the young jackfruit with plastic sacks (from bags of rice) and when the jackfruit was getting bigger and bigger it looked like a person wearing a t-Shirt that’s way too small as the fruit can be as big as 90cm long and 50cm wide . Pretty impressive huh? Oh, we also eat the seeds as well by boiling or steaming them. The taste is kind of nutty. Not bad at all, plus you can make salad out of it just like potatoes. We cook young jackfruit with coconut milk and enjoy with rice.
- 2 litres of water
- 1 litre of cold water (or room temperature)
- 1½ cups sago pearl
- 6 jackfruits, seeded and sliced into small pieces
- 400ml thick coconut milk from 1 coconut fruit (or use canned coconut milk)
- ¾ teaspoon salt to taste
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 pandan leaves, make a knot
- Boil 2 litres of water in a large size pot.
- Add sago pearls, stir gently to prevent the sago clot until nearly cooked. Or until white spots become very small.
- Add 1 litre of cold water, stir constantly but gentle. Continue cooking until pearl cooked. The sign when the pearl is cooked is when the white dots are gone and it becomes clear as crystal.
- Add coconut milk, stir slowly.
- Add salt and sugar, continue to stir stir.
- Add sliced jackfruit, stir slowly. Continue stirring until cooked and pearls thicken.
- Turn off the heat. During cold season, serve while its warm. Or when it's hot day, add ice tube when served.
Don’t forget to leave your question or comment below. Thank you
- Dinner at Beer and Skewer Northbridge
- Blue Ox Steakhouse Kalamunda